Monday, September 16, 2013

Picking The Right Rewards


The activity - reward system isn't perfected by any means, but I have a few ideas to share with you.

Picking the rewards has to fit the principle of the activity.  In an earlier post I talked about burning 400 calories and then getting an 1100 calorie shake.  Just a little counter productive.

Finding self punishment is another difficult task as adults.  We are taught to think "we deserve it."

One of the reasons I have a very difficult time working in a 9-5 lifestyle is the reward system.  Work one year, take a two week vacation doesn't work for me.

A contractor I met some years ago taught me the "Do the deal, get a check, take a vacation" philosophy.  The problem is that most people like to plan their vacations and know where they are going.  You can't do that if you don't get the reward until you get the check.

More than once I have cancelled trips with my wife and lost money because a project wasn't finished.  It was my form of punishment for missing a deadline.  The good news is I am much better at time planning these days.

I like the whole attitude that surrounds the "Do the deal, get a check, take a vacation" process as the core of the reward process.

Yesterday, I wanted to go play for a few hours.  I made that activity my "reward".  I then looked at my "to do" list and picked a half dozen items.  When they were done I could go play.  I ended up doing three more "while I was at it", and still made it out where I wanted to go and had a great afternoon.

I could have sat at my desk for hours doing busy work, but instead I assigned a reward, picked the work that mattered, got it done and then headed out for reward.  You can't do this in an hourly job in an office.  Interestingly, the  "Reward Challenge" is the only thing I like about the show "Survivor".

My entire staff is set up on a similar program.  All projects pay a set bonus, so if they can get it done quicker, bonus.  If they rush it, and have to do it twice, punishment, they did it twice.  

No rewards until there is accomplishment.  Want a soda, clean the kitchen, want to sit on your patio with a beverage, weed the beds.  Make it a little game if you have too.  It will help you self start, get more done and be the person everybody wants around because you get things done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your insights.