Monday, December 16, 2013

Do You Need A CD Server or a DVD Server?

As Sony gets ready to launch 4K content, the big question is how do you get all of that data to the consumer?  They are offering a 4K Media Player, but is that enough?  Can a Blu-Ray Disc go one more level or will it get as big as the old Pioneer LaserDiscs?  For now do you have enough DVD's that you would like a server?

iTunes and iCloud are a great choice for most people, but if you have a large collection of CD's, it isn't always the best choice.  It is pretty easy to build your own iTunes server at home, but what if you like DVD music or have a large movie collection?

A few years ago, while I was working full time in the residential technology business, my house was overkill.  Every toy you can imagine and then a couple just because I could.  Of all the toys I had, none was more used than my ReQuest ARQ and VRQ system.  I stored over 600 CD's of music, downloaded another 10 hours worth from the iTunes Store and loaded up over 150 DVD's.  

To keep everything legal when I sold that house, I kept the NAS drive that stored all of the music and movies.  Regrettably I had to sell the rest of the gear with the house.   In case you didn't know, there is a legal way to back up DVD's to a NAS drive and play them back in your own house.  After the housing crash in 07' devastated the residential technology markets, a few tough survivors remained.  ReQuest made it through and built some really cool new technology along the way.

This week I finally acquired the latest versions of the VRQ and the ARQ from ReQuest.  I am the beaming owner of a ReQuest F3 and IMC.  I didn't get the MP V2 yet, but I may upgrade next year.

By itself the F3 is a very cool audio and photo server.  With my very simple setup, I can still play two different streams of music from my F3.  Actually I can do many more.   The Mac Mini in my wifes office has Rocket studio monitors and I have an even nicer setup at my desk.  Using the web interface, we can each stream different music to our desks.  

My home audio setup is very simple, using Amex Reward Points, a Denon AVR-X2000 two zone Audio Receiver was inserted into the heart of my home electronics system.   The Denon gave me 5.1 surround in my Main room and another zone out on the patio by the spa.  

Adding and IMC (or an MP) to the F3 lets me store DVD's for easy access.  One reboot and the F3 found the NAS drive on my home network and indexed all of the music and movies in less than 15 minutes.  This is way better than digging for a DVD when I am feeling nostalgic and want to watch "Smokey and the Bandit."

Admittedly, the ReQuest IMC will occasionally ask that I insert the DVD to prove I own it and didn't rip a rental.  That is fine with me.  Also the new IMC and MP have the option to play Blu-Ray discs, something my old system lacked.  Sorry Sony, that is one less PS4 you are going to sell.

The widgets are pretty cool with a weather display, and stock market display available anytime I am not watching a movie, or on the iPad I use to control the system. 

This is where I get to introduce the greatest improvement of the ReQuest system, Maestro.  For an additional $149 plus tax, I get to use iPads and iPhones to select movies, search music and set up playlists.  Way cooler and easier to use than the several thousand dollar Crestron controller I had in my old house and way less expensive.

The one piece that is missing is the lighting control.  With a Crestron home system, and Lutron lighting, the ReQuest integration was very clean.  Currently I have an Insteon retrofit lighting control because it was less than half of the price of Lutron.  Since we have MobiLinc on our iPads we can control the lights from the same iPad, we just have to change apps.   Maybe I'll get motivated and build a widget for the Insteon Lighting for the ReQuest.

Keep in mind these are both apps that my wife uses every day.  She even can program and change lighting scenes on her iPhone without any help from me.  This is the first system in five different houses that she has ever created a lighting scene.  It is really that easy.

One piece from ReQuest I don't have is the Blu-Ray changer, I only have a dozen Blu-Ray discs and because of our normal sitting distances, I am the only one who can see the difference.  When the 70" is hung on the wall and the 50" moves to my office, I might change my mind, or maybe I'll get lucky and ReQuest will send me one for long term review.  Until then I still put the disc in the slot to watch HD blu-ray movies.

Given how close the capabilities of my current house are to my last house, and how much better it is than the four houses before that, I have to say that home technology is ready to move mainstream.  The difference in installation cost between this house and my last one will buy a new Factory Five 818 kit. 

If you are an audio buff, or a video buff, you should look at the ReQuest system.  It will change how you listen to music and see your TV forever.  If you have always wanted real home technology and thought you couldn't afford it, now you can.  If you could afford it before, now you can and you can get a cool car as a bonus with the extra money!  That is what technology should do for you isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your insights.