Monday, December 23, 2013

Are You Doing Your Homework To Succeed?

Doing "homework" is something most people try to stop doing the minute they leave school.  That is exactly why most people don't "make it".  The reality is that "homework" is probably the second most important key to success right after "purpose".

This week I had a great conversation with Alan Pietruszewski about acting, and the level of effort and training required to become even a good actor, let alone great.  Much like flying jets, you just can't walk in and do it well.  Alan is a friend and a mentor of mine.

As an actor, I know I have been very lucky and fallen into some great deals.  That did not mean I was the best I could be or even what the director wanted.  More than once I am sure they felt like they were "stuck" with me because I was the only choice they had.  Alan teaches a class for actors who are vets.  I haven't taken the classes but I am fortunate enough to get some one on one time with him on occasion.

Along the lines of learning how to do your homework, a book I recommend to everyone is "Boyd".  It is the story of the man that changed how we fight wars, and yet few even knew he existed.  Boyd's signature statement was, "I am ready, I did my homework".  If you don't do your homework, you aren't ready for any job.  Even McDonalds' has training to make sure the right number of pickle slices end up on the bun every time.  

Doing your "homework" was the focus of AlanPietruszewski's last class.

Doing your homework is the first step in a commitment to excellence.  I am very fortunate to live in an area of very successful people.  I can do homework in business just by talking to my neighbors and friends.  I can do this because I made a conscious decision to be a little "house poor".  I buy the least expensive house in the most expensive area I can afford.  I do this because I find that being low man on the financial totem pole, affords me many more opportunities to learn and grow.  

Being the big fish in a small pond is garbage thinking.  You can't grow if the pond won't support you.  I remember once hearing that a certain fish can only grow so that it is 1" for each gallon in the tank.  The bigger the tank the bigger the fish could get.  I want to be that fish and so should you.  

Starting out as the smallest fish in a big pond gives you many more opportunities to learn and grow.  It also makes it easier to do your homework.  Your potential is unlimited, so why limit it by living in a small pond?  Yes a big fish might eat you, but you will only get eaten when you give up the fight.  Lets face it, big fish are lazy and will just go after the next fish, they really don't want to fight.

Living where I am now, there are dozens of business owners, lawyers, doctors, accountants, and even a musician or two.  All of them are successful because they did their homework and keep doing their homework.  One guitar player has a studio in his house. I haven't met him yet, but I met his guitar coach while out running.  Several platinum albums and he still has a guitar coach every week.

His coach told me that he plays four or five hours every day.  That is doing your homework.  You owe it to yourself to live the best life you can, and that means doing a little homework today and every day, so that tomorrow is a little better than yesterday.  

If you make the most money and have the biggest house in your area, who would you learn from, who would you be inspired by? More importantly,  who is inspiring your children, people on MTV or real people they know?  Live among the people you want to be like, not among the people that will hold you back.  

When you do a little homework every day, you get a little better at being you every day.  That "you" will quickly rise to the top of any field.  Don't you owe it to yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your insights.