Monday, October 7, 2013

So After 5000 Miles Is The Chevy Volt Still Cool?

Today I cross the 5 month mark living with my Chevy Volt.  It also crossed the 5000 Mile mark, so how is it doing?

My wife and I don't argue about it quite as much.  She could have driven it today and didn't, but that was more of a logistics problem.  I made the mistake of putting the big Bosch Wall Charger on the same wall where she parks her car.  I effectively made our garage and drive way only one car wide.

If it wasn't so hard to move the wire to the other side, I would move the charger.  Live and learn.

So how much gas have I used?  22 Gallons total, and I stopped paying for the crazy expensive Blink chargers too.  The best part was changing my home electric plan and programming the car to self charge when power is really really cheap.

So what other bugs and tricks have I learned?  To begin with I figured out that when I can't make it round trip on electricity alone to use the generator only at highway speeds.  This has kept my gasoline mileage at 50.2 MPG according to the trip computer.  This is way better than the 38 MPG on the sticker, and I am not hypermileing or putting along at 50 on the freeway either.  This is 50 MPG at California Highway speeds.

The other two bugs are the "auto lock", which I like but when I valet the car they can't charge it because it locks and the keys are put away.  So I guess this isn't a bug, just something to get used too.  The other thing is the "auto charge time".  Somehow the GPS should tell the car it is home.

When I valet the car and press "charge now", it only works until the valet moves the car and then it goes into delay charge mode again.  I have to reprogram the car every time I go to the airport.

So far those are the only bugs, the Chevy Volt is still fun to drive, and I really like the money in my wallet that isn't going for gas.  I know the state is going to find a way to get it someday, but for now.  I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your insights.