Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Cool Nerdy or Tech Nerdy


My wife and I are generally of the nerd set.  Not having kids, we have a few more tech toys than most people.  We are tech savvy, but not social software saavy..  My wife is more social software savvy than I am especially when it comes to really social things like emoji.  

Emoji is a cool little app that changes the keyboard on an iPhone so you can send graphics characters instead of lame smiley's like :) or :-) like we used to do in the 90's with email.  As cool as emoji is, the engineer geek in me say that emoji needs memory and processor power, that slows down my iPhone.  I don't want to slow down my iPhone to send pictures.  Because of this I fall into the "lame" tech nerdy category according to my niece.

Obviously the solution is to get a newer faster iPhone that can handle the apps.  That of course is Apple's plan to take over my wallet.

Some people can't see the difference between a Cool Nerdy guy and a Tech Nerdy guy so they expect that I have it all.  My dad was a little older than most of my friends parents, so I was instilled with depression era rules on things like clothes, lights and toys.  Clothes you wear until they wear out, not until they are out of style.  Lights, if you aren't in the room, you turn them off.  Toys, if you might out grow it, you don't get it.  Lucky for me that rule didn't apply to cars.

My wife is a little different than I am in this way.  She is more Cool Nerdy and Fahionista type.  She likes new clothes daily, and works at a retail store part time just for the discount.  She of course has emoji and sends me texts with happy faces instead of :) like I send her.   On things like lights, we compromised.  I converted the house to LED lighting, and added Insteon lighting control.  When I go to bed, I hit all off, and I feel better knowing I am not wasting any energy, she feels better because she can leave on all the lights she wants until bedtime for under $1.00 a day.

Like the lights in the house, if it wastes energy or processing power, I probably don't use it.  That makes me a Tech Nerdy guy. If I were a Cool Nerdy guy I would have the latest of everything.  Are you Tech Nerdy or Cool Nerdy or Neither and don't even have a smart phone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your insights.