Sunday, February 7, 2010

Finally a Bluetooth headset that works!

One of the key aspects of success is being able to communicate effectively. Bluetooth has always looked like a great idea.  Execution on the other hand has been a little iffy.  A great headset should work with two phones and a computer with ease.  It should be clear and you should be able to walk from your car to a store in a light breeze without blowing out your own eardrums.

In business and life, one of the most difficult things to do is to catch a fleeting thought. Just about every cellular phone today and most laptops have the ability to connect with Bluetooth, and ideally a quick button press and you should be recording or calling someone.  Many cars nowadays have built-in Bluetooth speakerphones, which are a fantastic tool.  You can think of something while you're driving, say "call office" and if nothing else leave yourself a voicemail message so you don't forget what you wanted to do.


Many times I have an idea that I think will be great for an article and by the time I find something to write it down the thought is long gone.  My hope is that forgot because it would have been that great to begin with. Jeff Taylor, the founder of the Monster job site said to "keep a pad of paper and a pen by the bed, since that is where a lot of great ideas will come to you, and you will forget if you don't write them down" at my wifes MBA graduation ceremony.

While conducting the business of your life, communicating effectively your purposes and how you're going to help others add value to society or do your work is critical to success. You're the one that has to communicate to the other person.  You're the one who has to listen, your the one who has to make sure you hear everything and on occasion you need to be heard, and heard correctly.  Right now I'm sitting on the beach at Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach California talking through a Bluetooth headset as a computer dictates.  It's windy, the waves are crashing and the jets are flying overhead and I am still able to communicate with my computer using my voice.  The sun is so bright, I can't see the screen so my voice is all I have.

How many times have you heard two thirds of a conversation on a cell phone and just hoped you heard what you needed?  I've tried just about every headset available and none of them have been any good in my truck at high speeds or on a windy day at the beach.  That is until now. I finally found one that seems to work. The new ProPlantronics series has among the best wind and noise canceling logic in a Bluetooth headset that I've found.  Now if my dictation software would just go a little faster. Being able to do things while you're wearing a headset makes life a lot easier and hopefully improves your ability to communicate. It takes a little practice at first and sometimes you have to stop what you're doing to really concentrate on what the other person is saying to make sure you don't miss the message. However will there are times when wearing a headset and being able to pull out file quickly speed the communication and make sure the correct message is received.

My laptop is just one tool for success.  There are several add on tools connected to the laptop such as my telephone and video conference software and my Bluetooth headset.  The Bluetooth headset is the same one I use for my cell phone.  Sitting in a hotel, I can open my laptop and have a conference call with a headset and walk around the hotel room.  I prefer this over cellular, most of the time the voice quality is better.  I also don't eat my battery on the cell phone as quickly that way.  Additionally,  I tend to think better standing up and moving around the room, it keeps the blood flowing and my energy up. When I sit, I get stagnant hypoxia.  Keeping our energy up helps us think and communicate better.  It is much easier to smile on the phone while standing up too.  I don't know why, it just is, try it.

Once you realize how effective a tool for success a good Bluetooth headset will be you'll keep a couple handy all the time. The ProPlantronics isn't the least expensive on the market by any means but like any good tool, it is well worth the money to add one to your toolbox.  By the way, I paid $120 for mine at the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your insights.