Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Windows “One Experience”, Is It?

So is the Windows “One Experience” a move forward or backwards?  After a serious look at the new computers, tablets and phones powered my Microsofts single minded operating system, I have to wonder if Gates needs to pull a jobs, and take over the helm again.

Steve Ballmer has clearly been a better choice for Microsoft that Gil Emilio was for Apple, but it might be time to rethink the plan.  By the way, I still own my Microsoft Stock.

So what is going on at Microsoft? 

Starting at the little end, I looked a the windows phones.  iOs 7 on the iPhone 4 was a deal killer.    My Windows 7 desktop PC died, and my wife's died about a week later.  Like any good writer, I went on vacation for inspiration.

The phones with the windows OS were great.  The Nokia with the 41 Mega pixel camera was a little odd shaped, but it did take some great photos.  The tile interface is pretty cool and the apps are great.   I could get used to the one view update on the tiles.

Moving up the totem pole I looked at several windows tablets.  I do like them much better than the Apple iPad even though I already had three iPads.  The tile interface again the winner.   Within minutes of picking it up, I was able to get it to do everything I wanted it to do, and that I use my iPad for.  As a home controller and interface this is a clear winner.  It even solved my issues with missing text messages on my cell while at home.  

Since going to iOS 7 on the iPads, I can’t leave my home controller running like a smart photo display.  For the first time since buying any Apple product, I need to ask for help.  That just isn’t happening, it violates rule number 5 which is “Buy no technology that requires support.”

I should probably put some of this into perspective.  I am on my 5th "smart house".  This one is quite a bit simpler than the fourth house and still way cooler and smarter than homes one through three.  In the past I spent as much as $9,000 for touch screen control of my home lighting and audio/video systems.  Now the iPad or Windows Tablet can do a better job for much less money.  Maestro by ReQuest is probably the best looking interface for any system period.

At this point Microsoft was on a roll, and we were creating a huge list.  By the way, I have the advantage of living near an Apple Store, Sony Store and Microsoft Store which are all in the same mall for technology shopping at its best (and most confusing).

Next was the Xbox 360.  During the review we started looking at the capability of the upcoming Xbox One.  The only feature it didn’t have was an HDMI extender, but the salesperson showed me two that work well, so I could hide my devices out of site.  Problem solved.  Microsoft still rolling.

The list was growing and I was eager to wait for an Xbox One so it was on to the desktops.  For years I have been running dual screens and multiple apps.  Most of the time running training or educational videos on one screen while working or writing on the other.  The first question I asked was, “Can I add a second screen?”

The salesperson was perplexed for the first time, and the answer appeared to be “no”.  The next question was attempting to use the screen to multi task and layer the windows, now called tiles.

After 15 minutes I gave up.  Sorry Mr. Balmer, rule number 5 is violated.  I can’t do what I want to do without help, and by the way, I have rule number 5 because only once in the last 25 years has anyone from any tech support ever been able to find the answer before I could.  Yes that was a Microsoft Engineer from Dallas and he was sharp.  

Since that day I have been watching to see if Microsoft figured it out, and so far I don’t see it.  Apple on the other hand with iOS 7 put just the right amount of multi-tasking in mobile while keeping the desktop environment practical, comfortable and very multi task friendly.  Then I discovered Parallels.  Left Screen Windows, Right Screen Mac.

The score right now:       
Apple - two iPhone 5’s, three iPad’s, two Mac Mini’s
Microsoft - One Copy of Windows Running on Parallels.

On the horizon, a 4K TV and a PS4?  Or a Sharp Aquos Quatron and Xbox One?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your insights.